Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Member Submitted Charts

They say those who can't do teach, well I traded exclusively for a living with no other income source and taught and as much as I learn every day from the market, I learned just as much in teaching. I first realized that teaching is a great way to learn when I was in my teens and gave other kids guitar lessons.

In teaching Adult Education for our county school system, I learned a lot too. First because I probably had over 300 students during the 3.5 years, I was asked a lot of questions and nothing forces you to really clarify your position like being asked a question in the middle of class. I also learned a lot in just going back to the basics (preparing lessons each week).

With the number of WOWS members and the diversity, I often hear interesting ideas that may spark additional ideas and thoughts. So I just received these two charts in an email from a member, I like them first and foremost because they focus on the big picture and cut out the noise of the daily or intraday gyrations. In using standard indicators, I almost always use non-standard settings and 90% of the time, they are much longer settings as clearing out the noise uncovers the trend.

So thanks George for sharing these charts with us. You can expect a little something in the mail, I don't know who it will be from or what it will be, but I'm sure you'll find it in your mailbox, I just hope you like it!  ;)

 These are long term moving averages of 200/300/360 days. This chart is especially interesting to me because the bear market counter trend rally crossover in 2008 is the same area that I find to have numerous similarities with the current market; I've posted charts highlighting the two areas dozens of times.


And here's a long term view going back to 1993. Note the Macro price pattern, especially in the context of my view that we will likely see the first ever secular bear market in equities born from the 2007 market top.

No comments: