Friday, September 27, 2013

Precious Metals

I have had a lot of emails about gold and silver and what they look like, I'm not even going to post charts of them because in my view they give no actionable or even helpful information at this time.

The one take away I get from that is that any moves in the very near futures are much less about what the market thinks of QE and much more about either politics or running a cycle, the reason I say running a cycle is because this entire week the stage 1 of a cycle has been prepared. Treasuries have flipped their correlation 180 degrees like gold did about 3 weeks ago and rather than move in a "Taper-On / Taper-Off" manner, they are moving closer to a typical flight to safety, but probably even more so as a SPY arbitrage asset. 

The point was, gold especially and silver, don't seem to have a near term dog in the fight and they don't seemed to be worried about QE (as with the market in general).

The best I can scratch together is a few positives in SLV on the 3 and 5 min timeframes and a 15 min positive in Silver futures, but everything else that is needed to align timeframes is missing.

In gold's case, I can find even less. The case for gold "could " be made via its correlation with gold miners and the general stance we have toward gold miners, but on the other hand I have said the last 2 nights that I think the $AUD is going to see some upside and I could make the case that the $A?UD leads gold miners and they are responding to the Aussie.

I'm not including any charts because 3C is used to gain an edge in the market, I don't want any charts to be twisted or given more weight than they deserve to suggest any edge, there is no edge in either asset right now.


No comments: