Friday, August 30, 2013

Today's P/L


We didn't have any expiring options today so the only P/L's are from positions moved around today, I think there will be many more great set ups when the market opens in the U.S. on Tuesday next week, but I don't think we have much more time than that.

As you know, for a Friday, today was extremely busy. When I was looking at text alerts for trades for the new site the best company I could find offered so many texts as a maximum amount per month, you can't go over that, with our membership and the trades closed and opened today alone, I would have gone through 54% of the monthly allotment today only.

I moved around quite a few positions today, I'll show you why, part of it is I think there's potential for a large enough base that it's worth trading around to free up dry powder for other positions while cutting assets facing draw-down, almost all of these I plan on re-establishing, but in certain cases it just made sense not to have drawdown when those assets could be used in a position that can advance with the market, others I simply won't let go of (Core shorts) because of personal rules and because I won't get another entry like the original one.

These may not be in order, but close...




At today's fill of $1.73 the remaining half's P/L came out to almost + 54%


DUST Long (Equity)



 I intended to hold DUSt for a longer period, but I figured I can trade around it and it's a good thing it was closed when it was as I was able to capture most of the day's momentum.  DUST which was opened Monday Aug. 26th (Congratulations for those of you who sat through the -8% gap down to finish the day up 13% Tuesday) came in at a $27.44 fill, the P/L is +27.5%


IYT Short (Equity), was intended as a longer term position, but you know how I feel about transports for the next week or two so it was closed today.



With a fill of $112.20, the P/L came out to a loss of about -5.5% (on the position) it would be about half a percent on portfolio.


IBM Core Short (equity)



IBM has been a Core Short position for a little bit, I didn't intend on closing it, but after looking at the charts today I thought the proceeds could be used in better ways, it's not enough just to have a trade that makes a gain, but look for the trade that will make the best gain (too many people get caught up in revenge trading, saying, "I lost the money in XYZ, I'm going to make it back in XYZ", while "ABC" may offer a better return).  At the $182.28 fill, IBM short came to a gain of approx. +9.25%

TLT is a special position as you know, I'm still looking for the right way to play it, but for now this is really dead money, I think it's GREAT for a longer term play without too much risk as long as you can keep a reasonable eye on it, it might be something I put some savings in.




At the $106.32 fill, the P/L was right around -.075%

TECS



Considering the positions entered at the end of the day, I couldn't have this in the Equity tracking portfolio so I removed it in favor of its cousin, the P/L came out to be about +4.25%


Remember, this is just today's closed positions, I think the best position this week was the Sept. $85 XOM Calls.


This is the current Equities Tracking Portfolio Rank for the Week and Month, I can't wait to see what it does with a real crack in the market.






I'll have some analysis for you over the weekend, maybe a few new indicators to test and hopefully the testing on the new website as well as sone odds and ends will be done and I'll start migrating you all over to the new site which has some really neat features I think you'll really enjoy and find helpful.


No comments: