Friday, September 10, 2010

Thought this was interesting..

As you may know, in a recent comment today (see comments section of individual posts) I had written that I'll be working on an indicator that is a sort of advance decline line of stocks by their weight in the index. I went to look for that information and came across this on the NASDAQ website....


Apparently the information is available for a mere individual subscription of $10,000 a year. Does anyone find this simple question and the consequential answer to be biased toward Institutional money? After all, I don't know of any investors that can or would pay $10,000 just to find out which stocks carry which amount of weight in the index. I think this is crucial information to know if you'd like to find out if an index is being manipulated higher, especially when the majority of the component stocks are down for the day.

Another roadblock in the quest for market transparency.... If anyone finds this information, I'd appreciate an email. Oh and by the way, it can't be figured out using the market cap of the stocks (NASDAQ has a proprietary formula for weighting the index that changes frequently).

2 comments:

JC said...

Let's watch the dollar to see if it is in a leading position as it climbs against the euro. The dow hasn't come around yet.

Brandt said...

UUP trades so thin I can only get decent 3C results on longer timeframes-you saw the overall positive trend I posted in last night's article. Technically from the SWING system entries I use, the moment it broke (UUP) above $24 it became a long with a stop under $23.90 so watch price, a move above $24.07 will resume the uptrend out of the pullback