Friday, June 14, 2013

CMG P/L & Why

First lets get business out of the way, as I said earlier, "this isn't a trade I should be taking", I knew that, I told you that, it was more out of boredom and just for a little challenge to keep skills sharp, neither are good excuses for taking the trade even if it did make a profit. I did well in admitting the truth of the situation instead of making up some reason to justify my actions, I did horribly in making good use of being honest with yourself so I hope (as I tried to impress when the trade idea was offered), that I made that point clear to you and didn't set a bad example or rather did that you can learn from.

I don't know exactly how the parable goes, but something like, "An Army Captain is leading his soldiers when they stumble upon a field of land mines, the captain considers what to do with no engineers with their groups and decides he'll close his eyes and walk across the field and his men can follow in his foot steps, he makes it across the field unharmed". Obviously this is a ton of hyperbole, but the point it, what happens the next time the captain comes across a mine field? When you are rewarded for taking unjustifiable risks, it's more dangerous than had the trade failed. 

There's an ocean in between "What the highest probability is" and a "High probability trade", obviously we want the latter.




 At the fill of $7, the gain for CMG for 69 minutes of market exposure is 18.5%, very nice for an hour, but still not justified.

 I know you think I have "Head-Fake" on the brain, but there it is, it doesn't need to be big, the stops are automatically triggered as soon as price is a penny below the order, volume is up and even on this very short timeframe, this is an important reversal for this timeframe, that's why these head fake moves (when confirmed as such ) make such excellent entries.

Just from years of experience I could see the 3C momentum in the blue area was falling off, can you see it too?

Even though this isn't the correct version, the blue is often faster and it confirmed what I thought.

With the 5 min chart offering no positive divergence , I see no reason to hand around. There may be more intraday gains, but I don't know if the intraday pullback will make the options worth any more and I have to consider my time, I don't have much today, we all have to consider our circumstances in choosing and managing a position.

You could have also used simple momentum indicators, these below on a 1 min chart show where CMG went positive today and negative.

At the top, Momentum, then RSI, MACD (26/52/9), then Stochastics (50).

I', likely going to spend my remaining time just checking on the health of the market, making sure nothing is developing that will reach out to next week.

That being said, around 2:30, most contracts are settled and the market tends to get more volatile, this doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as next week and the bigger picture go.

No comments: