Thursday, October 11, 2012

Selling GLL at -1% portfolio loss

My normal risk management loss per position is 2%, GLL is not performing like I'd like it to and I see a different way I'd like to trade Gold without having long term open risk.

 The GLL position is at a 12.7% position loss and less than 1% portfolio loss, but I see a different way I'd like to trade GLD and some near term upside looks likely.

 As suspected, the very last breakout of the range in the yellow box was a failed breakout like the two previous ones, this is where I was looking for a quick put position in a gold equity or derivative, I know  at least two members took the trade and made some money in a single day. I'd rather play the short term/leveraged gold plays than leave a position open while we are rangebound.

 While the 4 hour chart doesn't look good in the range, it's still a range and opportunity cost as well as risk.

 For instance, the 15 min GLD chart is looking better since the failed breakout, it will probably make another run and I'll look for a trade when it does, but that won't help GLL at all.

 10 min chart looks the same

As does the 2 min chart so it looks nearby, you can see the failed breakout on a negative divergence, that's the trade I'd rather take as I can make jut as much if not more in a day or two than sitting in GLL for another month and I don't have open risk or opportunity cost.

No comments: