Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Finding Yourself

Back in 2006 when the spiritual craze was everywhere you looked, I wrote a piece at Trade-Guild.net called, "Zen and the Art of Investing" You'll see by some of the references, it's a bit dated, but I hope someday soon you'll take 15 minutes to read it as the conclusions are just as valid today as they were back in 2006.


I've spent years writing about the markets and sharing my experiences, I love what I do and I love to be able to help people who love the market. Friday I posted an email from a member who took my analysis of the market and what I thought the most likely close would be ($127.25) for the following day. This member created an options trade and made $1000 for the day. Another member who's been with us for several months has taken his portfolio from 40% down to regain all of the lost ground (nearly doubling his return) and is now in the green; that's amazing performance and discipline.


Today I received this email:


"Hi Brandt,

Thanks to your 3c analysis, I banked 70% on SPY calls bought from yesterday's lows to today's high. Dumped them right at the last move up before the close, it was on 10 contracts so paid for one year subscription fee and more."

This member has been with me a long time and I know his trading style pretty well. He often trades the Wednesday morning energy report when we find underlying action that is counter to the market's move. He's found a great niche in selectively using options and has had so many great trades I can't even begin to count.

The point of this is not what I did, I'm providing information and ideas, these members are applying that to their trading styles and are getting incredible results. I love to hear these success stories because I see WOWS achieving what I hoped WOWS could offer. It's not a pure stock picking service, or a newsletter, but hopefully a process and a different perspective on the markets and trading. I don't want credit for the trades and don't deserve it, I'm giving you the information you pay for each month. You guys are the ones making and managing the trades. I want that last sentence to be clear-YOUR SUCCESS IS OF YOUR OWN MAKING! It's important that you realize that.

I feel you are most successful as a trader when you have found your niche, what works for you; that's why I offer so many different ideas, we have so many unique traders. 

If you haven't found that snug fit yet, it's okay, it's a process and as the article mentions, a sort of spiritual journey. Risk management can keep you afloat long enough to find yourself when it comes to the markets. A trading journal is absolutely indispensable for finding what works for you and what doesn't. There's no one size fits all and the process of finding what works for you is a never ending series of adjustments, discoveries and lessons.

The message I really wanted to get across is, find yourself (in the markets) and success will find you.  

I'm really proud of the wolf pack, I've watched so many of you grow and I believe in you all. Just make sure when you send me your emails of success stories, you remember that the trade was of your own making and be sure to give yourself the credit you are due.

Now, quickly on to the markets, Japan and the Asian markets like what they see in the Greek vote. Dow futures were up about 16 points at last check, although a lot can happen in the next 10 hours. I still feel there's enough accumulation to carry this bounce higher, ultimately I'm looking for the daily 50-day moving average, and then I think the next plunge could be one of the worst we have seen in several years. One bridge at a time though.

I'll see you in a few hours-and congratulations S.Y.!


No comments: