Wednesday, October 19, 2011

OP-EX Friday

This is REALLY FRUSTRATING! you know yesterday my track pad was like "Ghost in the machine" on my MacBook Pro, so I bought a mouse to fix the issue and waited at the AAPL store last night for 2.5 hours to get ZERO help. Now even the mouse is wondering around the page. Very frustrating when trying to capture charts and post, but that's my problem, just venting to my sympathetic Wolf Pack.

So Friday is Options Expiration and I figured it's time to look and see where there may be a potential pin and I found something altogether different.

Take a look at the SPY Call/Puts in the option chain....
Calls....



Puts.....

Do you see what I see?

On the calls, there is very little open interest below $115 with the PUTS there's very little open interest above $122. So clearly the option buyers have been bullish.

By my rough calculations, a close below $122 on Friday will wipe out 1.2 million calls and add to it if the SPY moves down. The open interest in calls below $115  average around 35k per level, so you an see where the incentive is on the calls.

As for the Puts, a close below $122 wipes out over 5 million contracts, so they can take price down several points still and wipe out a lot of contracts. Puts over $125 average around 20k contracts at each level so they con't lose much. Again, I don't know where the pin would occur, but taking the market lower is more beneficial then higher by a pretty wide margin. Of course you could really look at each level just below $122 and probably find the max pain, but this is one time when the bets where all lined up in such a way that it seems that the crowd may be way off base and cluttered together in an area that makes them a prime target.

If any of our options traders take a closer look at the chain and have an opinion (as I see it as kind of a wash when looking quickly at is), let me know what you come up with.

No comments: