Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Incredible Internals

First lets start with volume and advancers/decliners


Today's movement came on lower than avg. volume (NYSE 711 mln, vs. 790 mln avg; Nasdaq 1470 mln, vs. 1744 mln avg).


 Decliners outpaced advancers in both the NYSE and NASDAQ by a large margin (NYSE 985/2006 Nasdaq 758/1773).


The real surprise was in the dominant Price/Volume relationships, I've never seen anything like this before.


 Dow 30


 NASDAQ 100


 Russell 2000


 Russell 3000


S&P-500
First the dominant relationship was extremely dominant, Price Down / Volume Down, this is probably the most dominant relationship reading I have ever seen. Price Down/Volume Down is the hallmark of a bear market.

What was absolutely shocking and I went through a couple of averages just to make sure I didn't have bad data, was the bullish P/V relationship of Price Up / Volume Up (the most bullish). The Dow and the NASDAQ 100 didn't have a single stock in this category! 


Of the 2000 Russell stocks, only 5 met the relationship. 


Add another thousand for the Russell 3000 and only 7 stocks advanced bullishly!


The S&P 500 had 2 stocks in this category.


I don't even know what to think about this, I have never seen anything like this in years of following the P/V relationships. All I can say is that changes in character lead to changes in trends. I really don't have words to describe how shocking these readings are.

No comments: