Wednesday, July 24, 2013

AAPL and QQQ P/L

From what I see, taking those gains early was absolutely the right thing to do. For newer members, we have all kinds of different traders with different styles, I'm not particularly fond of leverage/options, but when I see something that looks very good and either doesn't have enough profit potential to take the risk (like in a volatile choppy market) or I want to capture what I think will be a big volatility move, then options are often the right tool, but I'm almost always looking to get out of them as fast as possible, not to hold them and see if I can do better, there's always another trade.

In the case of the Q's and AAPL, the opening exuberance caused by retail gave me a good momentum/volatility exit.

In any case, here's the P/L for both, the  AAPL fill was broken in two with a pretty decent difference in the fills.




The average fill for the AAPL calls was $14.31 for a gain of +30.6%




The QQQ position was a proxy for an AAPL add to (Monday for AAPL/Tues. for QQQ) as implied volatility right before earnings would have made the AAPL calls more difficult to make money with.

The QQQ position at the $1.51 fill came out to a 1/2 day gain of  +16.15%

In retrospect I think the AAPL July 26th strike was appropriate for Monday's entry given what we knew, AAPL could have been easily just run up yesterday pre-earnings and we only had 1 min timeframes positive so I think that was the best call that could be made (the strike is a matter of personal preference and risk tolerance).

For the Q's though, considering the event was most likely going to be either late yesterday or early today, the strike was way too far out, it should have been in a lot closer for this scenario.

No comments: