Tuesday, July 2, 2013

AMZN as a Core Short Position

I waited very patiently for AMZN > $282.50 before adding to the AMZN short position and as a result, the position is only down -2.6% (of position, not portfolio) which is an EXTREMELY manageable bit of draw-down.

I would add to the AMZN short equity (longer term) core position right here and now if I wasn't already at full position size. I would entertain adding to AMZN above $287, but I'd have to have a more significant price concession and continued negative signals to add to the position from here.

However, if I did not have a position in AMZN? and was looking to start one (I prefer building these positions in parts - 1/3 or so, leaving room in my risk management to add at better levels- which is not the same as traditional Dollar Cost Averaging as that is a response to a losing position, building a position like this is part of your trade plan and risk management before you enter the first share) 

I always prefer to leave a little room in my risk management to add at better levels, but I think as a core position, this is a good average level for a longer term AMZN equity short- this is NOT the same as an option position.

For our purposes, this single 2 hour chart will suffice, you can see the strength of the negative divergence at 2 hours and you can see the > than $282.50 level I had been waiting for, this area is slightly better.

No comments: