Thursday, October 10, 2013

I have some good stuff for you & on a FUNNY NOTE....

It's a little time consuming to capture and notate all of the charts, but hang in there, I'm getting it done and I think there's some really good stuff that is both conceptual and applicable. There's just a LOT going on, but it's still relatively simple, really not much has changed or deviated from our expectations, at least not significantly.

For the funny part...

First let me say that I'm not making fun of anyone, especially not my loved ones. I've never judged people by their accent or anything like that, but I know and worked for a lot of people who did. Here in South Florida it is a melting pot of cultures, I'd guess second only to New York.  I had a Cuban guy who defected to the US working under me when I managed a high-end custom intereiors shop, as in multi-million dollar jobs ($200,000 in curtains, $750,000 in woodwork, etc.). This friend of mine (from Cuba), Juan Carlos, started working for us for $5.00 an hour and spoke no English, my favorite phrase of his was "What mean dat?"In any case, my boss treated him like he was an idiot because he didn't speak English. Fast forward 2 years, he was my right hand man making $28.00 an hour for manual labor, he spoke great English and had moved from a trailer he lived in with his wife, her parents and sister and their new born, to his third home, a $350,000 custom build.

After he learned English he told us his story, at 30 years old, he was a professor at a university in Cuba and his specialty was a reactor that burned garbage at low heat in an atmosphere with no oxygen, they extracted gas from the reactor and created energy. He spent 6 months in Sweden working with an international team on a huge scaled up version of the reactor and that's when his eyes were opened and defected to the U.S. He now is the vice president of a company that competes with Kohler, he started there as a design engineer 3 years after I met him, so the moral of the story obviously is don't be too quick to judge.

That being said, about an hour ago my wife who is from Budapest, Hungary came in and told me the girl who lives next to us is "Crazy". I asked, "Why?" and she said...

Anna: "Don't you hear it?" 
Me: "What?"
Anna: "The land-rover"
Me: "What?"
Anna: "She's lawning the moan!"
Me: "What?"
Anna: "She's outside with the land rover lawning the moan!"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Anna: "The grass! She's lawning the moan in THE FRONT OF THE BACK YARD"
Me: "Oh, you mean she's mowing the lawn?"
Anna: (somewhat frustrated with me): "Yes! Why you don't understand me?"
Me: "The washer is loud, I can't hear you, so she MOWING THE LAWN?"
Anna: "Yeah, that's what I said, she's lawning the moan with her land-rover, look outside in the front of the backyard"

I had to write this down so I wouldn't forget. 

That's ok, when I was in Hungary I told everyone from flight attendants to family members like an 85 year old grandmother and friends, 

"Nice to meet you", except there's a very slight difference between: Uhr-doh-lok Howyg Meg-ish-mer-tem and what I was saying: Uhr-do-luck Howyg Meg-ish-mer-tem.

Roughly translated and slightly edited, I told about 30 people, "Sh*t to meet you" before anyone corrected me.

OK, back to work.


No comments: