Wednesday, January 29, 2014

P/L : SQQQ, SPXU, FAZ

I closed out these 3 trading positions from the trading portfolio. FAZ was not one I had planned on closing even though most of the time the market moves together like the tide (even with increasing dispersion throughout the averages), however seeing the market pull back to the bottom of the range, basically exactly what we were looking for and of course a slight move below sets up a timing flag (the head fake move) as stops are taken out just before a new move starts and in almost every iteration of that event, there were positive divergences or accumulation of that stop run, this just gave me an overall strong feeling that this was probably going to be as good as it gets for those shorts for the immediate future.

I did not go long Financials, just took the short position off, I'd need a bit more objective evidence to go long Financials. AAPL I liked for several reasons, at least for a call position, just about every move to the downside on volume in AAPL saw some kind of positive divergence suggesting those lows were being accumulated.

I also did not go long the SPY after closing the 3x leveraged short (SPXU), I felt I had enough broad market coverage via TQQQ (3x long QQQ) and URTY (3x long IWM) and both of those looked better to me than SPY (UPRO). Considering this is a trading portfolio and I prefer to keep positions around 6 or so, it just didn't make sense to add in a 3rd broad market asset such as UPRO.

As for the P/L for these short positions, they never got the stronger move I had hoped for, but we'll get there.



The P/L for SQQQ which is down in after-hours, not that I think AH is a great indication, came out to +3.2% or $679



The P/L for SPXU came out to +7.92% or $1718



The P/L for FAZ came to +5.8% or $1161.00

No comments: