Friday, February 21, 2014

GLD / GDX / DUST Quick Update

I've been looking for GLD to make a move higher since I first considered it as a short Wednesday, it did so yesterday and today, but I'm not sold on short term charts yet.

GDX (Gold Miners) however look very different. There has been a decent correlation between miners and gold, however as you know the 180 degree about face in the gold/SPX correlation from inverse to 1.0 took hold very quickly, although we saw early signs and had suspicions and stopped trading GLD short term after a number of very successful short term option trades.

I'm still on the fence with GLD's signals, the fact that is has good correlation with miners (GDX) tempts me to look at opening a GLD short, but I don't like doing anything with out a clear and undeniable reason and I don't have that yet in the 1-5 min GLD charts, although the intraday gold futures are negative.

GDX is a different story, it has good signals (short) and as you might recall, I closed a core long in a 3x leveraged long miners ETF (NUGT) and replaced it with a 3x short miners ETF, DUST. I like DUST a LOT here, but I don't think it is a core position, I think it's a trading position, it just happened to be that the NUGT position was in the core tracking portfolio.

I do like DUST long here (3x short gold miners), as far as GLD, I suspect it will come down, but I need objective and overwhelming evidence, I did get the upside move I wanted as of Wednesday now I just want to see objective 3C charts, otherwise I'm fine missing the trade, there's another bus, they run 24 hours.

No comments: